Saturday, November 22, 2014

Easy Pelmet Boxes

A lot of you asked about the pink pelmet boxes in my girls' room and I have been so excited to share the mini-tutorial! It’s an easy and inexpensive one!



A couple of the three windows in the bedroom were obstructed by furniture, so curtain panels (my default window treatment) weren’t really an option. I thought about transforming the mini-blinds into fabric shades, but I was really hoping to find a way to make a structured valence or pelmet box.

In the early planning stages, I was going to buy a few plywood at Home Depot and use an electrical saw to cut out a fun style. That was intimidating for me though, and the price of the wood and a new noticed (or a carpenter) was going to add up. Then I realized that I didn’t need anything at all fancy in this room - just something flat that could be cut easily which was sturdy enough to hold up some batting and fabric.

Related : Designer curtains: Pattern Faux Silk Curtains

Enter: foam core board.
I picked up three sheets at Michael’s for $1. 99 each. I carefully drew one half of my pelmet shape on to the froth core, cut it out with a box cutter and used that piece because my template. I also cut some short pieces that would be my sides.

I had formed bought some L-brackets, screws, nuts and washers to assemble the corner pieces, however I ended up just duct taping the whole thing!! This project was SO easy!!

Duct tape holding the two halves together (above) and the side/corner pieces (below)

After that, using ¼” staples and my trusty PowerShot Pro, I upholstered the actual pelmets with some batting and pink linen left over from a client’s project. We ended up using only about a yard of fabric for all three pelmets.

After stapling, We used Fabri-tac to glue on ¼” navy blue bias tape as a best and bottom border.

I don’t have a photo of this step, but to hang the actual pelmets, I simply epoxied some wall hangers to the back of the foam core, as well as hung the boxes on the walls with nails.


And that’s it! It took a little time for me about two hours to do this project - from design conception in order to hanging the three pelmets. So fast and so easy!



--P. S. Our web has been down all weekend (I’m posting this from my husband’s office), so if I owe you an email I promise to have something to you as quickly as possible. We’re hoping to have the situation fixed in the next couple days. Thanks!!



View the original article here

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BACK TO TOP