Monday, November 24, 2014

Create a Bay Window Curtain Rod from Electrical Conduit




Even though this project was really simple it did take me nearly a month to accomplish, from picking out fabric and brainstorming about how to make the curtain rod to only truly being able to work during nap time. I love the way it turned out though! Here is the prior to picture. Well, its not a true before picture…


The initial step was to figure out how the heck to hang a curtain rod. It’s a four windowpane bay rather than the standard three, so I couldn’t find anything online. Plus all of the spacing between the windows is different…. nice right? So off to Home Lager it was to try and create something. Four trips and a week later I had the solution. I bought four pieces of electrical conduit, four packs of wooden fishing rod hangers and some plastic tubing. Oh, and a hacksaw. The cheapest one I could discover ($3)…which turned out to be a not so good idea. First step was to measure and cut all of the conduit. I measured from crease to crease and took off about three. 5 inches to leave room for the joints.

Related : How to Make Your Curtain Fabric Romance


Here is why the $3 hacksaw was a bad idea…it kept falling apart! One small piece of metal wouldn’t stay in place and that was that. It this regarding six times during the cutting process. I know what your thinking…”wait did you have that many cuts to make? ” All I have to say to that is thank you for assuming We get everything right the first time. I actually make about 15 cuts because I believed “eyeballing it” would be sufficient.


Luckily my small helper was there there to encourage me….


I put (more like stuffed) some plastic tubing in the joints (to make sure the drape tabs wouldn’t fall between the cracks) and it worked great. Here is what it looks like finished…


Next step…make the curtains. After a couple of rejects I ended up choosing a grey/blue chevron pattern I bought off of fabric. com. I bought 15 yards and had juuuuust enough. I had to make back-tab curtains to that particular I could lace them around the hardware and have a clean finished look. I would never made them before so I just winged (wung? ) it. Very first I made the tabs by cutting 4 inch strips, folding in two and sewing. I did it this was so it would have a nice edge when I switched them pattern side out. Not that it mattered because they are hidden anyway. (Also, I’ve discovered a way to make “back tab” curtains without actually having to create tabs. It really is so much easier and I don’t ever think I’ll make tabs once again. )


Here they are completed (yes, I pressed them). I made eight for each curtain for a complete of 40.


Next I hemmed all the 4 edges of each curtain, which was definitely the least fun part of this project. Nicely, that and getting all my cuts wrong; ). Then I folded down the top side of the curtain (4. 5 inches) and pinned the bottom part of the tabs towards the edge, sewing the tabs and seam all at once. For the top of the tabs We folded them over to be even with the top of the curtain and sewed all of them individually.


 Here is a view of the back of the curtains all dangled up…


And here it is finished! My casual dining room appears much more “grand” now!



The grand complete for this project ended up being just under $100. Not bad considering I’ve seen the same drapes (shorter, rod pocket) selling for $150 a pair on etsy. Hmm…maybe I ought to sell curtains…


View the original article here

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BACK TO TOP