Monday, October 13, 2014

Ralph Lauren's Home Cookies

I am Jill. I am a matriarch. We try to keep quiet concerning this, to preserve the illusion that no one notices. We are, however , among the newest, most powerful generations on our exhausted planet.

I wake up earlier to the chimes of my cell phone. Time to toss on the Speedo, throw goggles in Hennessey + Ingalls canvas bag, as well as take off to swim. HOWEVER - A DISTRACTION ON MOBILE PHONE: No, it isn't about Freeways or Ben Affleck being an fool, or usual interference. This is about fashion: FASHION? I began to be a designer, spent most high school days as a wardrobe student at MGM working with Helen Rose, trying on costumes, viewing fittings (the constant enlarging of Mario Lanza's Student Knight in shining armor outfits).



My friends and I loved putting on outfits, reading Vogue. There were our favorite models, photographers, and designers. Elsa Schiaparelli, who developed Shocking Pink, and the iconic Gilbert Adrian who got all of us talking about shoulders rather than legs. Young girls then did talk about preferred designers, "who you'll look great in... " We assumed our own favorites were here to stay. It was unsettling when Christian Dior passed away, and was replaced by Yves St. Laurent who appeared so anxious, even to us, so very young.

However, at some point, when most of us weren't just calling ourselves "career women" (a chic way to cover the fact you needed, dared, or even preferred to work). We did stop talking about clothes, because our lives changed.

During this time, a young designer emerged who made clothing for our actual lives. They were enormously appealing to those of us who did not live in Manhattan; those of us in L. A. who really skipped the cowboy clothes we liked as kids when we rode horses, hiked through canyons and went to the Last Frontier cinema to see Westerns. Ralph (and we referred to him as 'Ralphie') made clothes for our real lives, picking up kids, washing canines, clothes for writing, for artwork and for a world where elegance had a tough panache. And we wanted clothes we could take off effortlessly. And put back on fast.

So , to return to this morning: Here, in the cell phone, is a thrilling video: Ralph Lauren's Home Store. From the place to be. There's a coffee bar. Acres of great clothing: Western clothes (in case it gets cold someday). The very first Home Stores are not in L. A. But we perform NYC. Even if just for the weather.

The video itself is a moving gratitude (with its high powered film score) to a designer who has held up with his customers - and, therefore , prevailed. He understands who goes out, where, and how we really live.

Back to this movie: Very much like a salute to the alluring mix - the style of our own time. There are Polo shirts (very nice for those of us who else used to sit on the hillside above the Will Rogers Polo Area with Sean Flynn, watching his dad, Errol Flynn perform real polo).

Ralph Lauren creates clothes my granddaughters treasure, and clothes which give my new vigorous matriarch era a strong acknowledgment. Lauren's style grows because he tips their cowboy hat to our memories and encourages us to explore this dashing inventions. I am not wearing crepe and pearls in order to my grandson's wedding in Phoenix. I am wearing lean Difference jeans, a black jacket, a tux shirt and bowtie, my Ralph Lauren cross body mini-bag, Converse sneakers. As well as yes, The Watch.

Here's my favorite episode in my Ralph Lauren mini-series:

This was a serious birthday. Two years ago. I was writing a guide, working with writers, sending tirades to HuffPo on How Not To Create Anything At All - and so the way to feel better is to go to Ralph Lauren, I told myself. See what you'd like for your birthday. I had created already seen it in an ad. This big silver connected stirrup watch. Equivalent of wearing a Jaguar. I looked at this. Tried it on. Again. Thanked the people who are always simple on you (which is why I come back). "I'll think about it, inch I said. "A lot. "

Two days later I known as my son. "My birthday is coming up. "

"I understand. "

"Do you want to know what I'd like? "

"Yes. " Usually do not waste words. "The big Ralph Lauren silver stirrup view. "

He cellphones (new verb) me a picture.

"This? inch he texts.

"Exactly. " I retext.

So it's my birthday celebration. I am walking in Beverly Hills, picking up eyeglasses. I nevertheless like looking in windows. My son works near right here. He will call later. Or maybe out of town. Matriarchs excel at dire situations. Have trained myself to trash them.

Phone rings. "Happy Birthday, " my son says, "Would you like lunch? inch

We meet around the corner. He hands me a grand deep dark blue box, with gold letters. A black satin ribbon.

It does not take Watch.

I try to say fashion doesn't mean much in my experience now. I am my own person. I need only the Speedo, denim jeans, my late husband's bowties, Equinox running pants, t-shirts. Which Watch whose weight reminds me symbols do matter in this time associated with life, gestures of recognition count, and mean even more whenever they're expressed in the language of one's favored time.

I had not really come back to Ralph Lauren since The Watch's arrival; well, once, for your crossover mini-bag. But then, after two years, The Watch stopped. I must possess asked too much of it; showed it off, invading its loner hauteur. I took it back to RL. Tender. Care: "It's the battery. " Those were tough days without The View. I had to get up. Look at cell phone. My arm felt unattached - abandoned. The left arm lorded over the right again, composing big letters with its pen. But now The Watch was ready. "Yes, of course , " I didn't have to say why I was generally there, "The Watch! " Everyone always says hello. That's not simply L. A. That's called style. Aloof is passé. Beth presented "The Watch, " I'm certain I heard heartbeats complementing mine.

Ralph Lauren knows when we shop, it's for a little bit of theatre and luxury. When we save up for the one thing we really desire, the staff knows not to push. What they do, at least in Beverly Hillsides, is give you somewhere soft to sit. You meet a few other women, such as Marilyn and Sammie, who I fulfilled last week. We glowed at The Watch. Had Ralph Lauren green tea and agreed these were the very best cookies we ever had.

The Watch, certainly, acknowledges time - its authoritative presence implies time to come. Additionally, it gives a nod to a creative designer who has the insight as well as initiative to understand the customer who is very much still here and has the advantage to wear these clothes very well.

View the original article here

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BACK TO TOP