Monday, November 3, 2014

the US Activist Brittany Maynard Dies At the age of 29


A fresh woman who sparked a new round of debate about physician-assisted dying recently weeks took her life on Saturday. In January Brittany Maynard, 29, had been diagnosed with glioblastoma, an aggressive form of brain cancer, then told she just had six months to live. She and her family recently moved from Ca to Oregon to take advantage of its Death With Dignity law, which allows doctors in order to prescribe lethal medication to terminally ill patients. A spokesman for the flack group Compassion & Choices announced on Sunday night that Maynard passed away, "as she intended - peacefully in her bedroom, in the arms associated with her loved ones. "

Maynard began working with the non-profit group after relocating to Portland and obtaining her prescription. In 1994, Oregon became the very first state to allow doctors to prescribe life-ending drugs to the terminally ill, as then more than 750 people have used it to take their lives. Montana, Washington, Brand new Mexico and Vermont have similar laws.


In a video posted last month through Compassion & Choices, which has been viewed more than 9. 5 million times, Maynard explains her decision:



For the past few months, Maynard has been traveling with her family and friends, and October 21 they took a helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon, that she wanted to see before she died. Last month she told People the girl planned to die on November 1, a few days after her husband's birthday celebration. "My glioblastoma is going to kill me and that's out of my control, " the girl said. "I've discussed with many experts how I would die from it and it's a bad, terrible way to die. So being able to choose to go with dignity is less terrifying. "

Maynard suggested this week that she may choose a later date, but apparently the girl stuck with her original plan. According to People, she posted a final message upon Facebook. "Goodbye to all my dear friends and family that I love. Today is the time I have chosen to pass away with dignity in the face of my terminal illness, this awful brain cancer that has taken so much from me … but would have used so much more, " she wrote. "The world is a beautiful place, travel continues to be my greatest teacher, my close friends and folks are the greatest givers. I have a ring of support around my bed as I type … Goodbye globe. Spread good energy. Pay it forward! "

View the original article here

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BACK TO TOP