Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Lauren Hutton: The Modeling Industry Is Unrecognizable Today

We all know Lauren Hutton as one of the most distinctive faces in the modeling industry - let us remember she secured the title of “lovable gap-toothed model” long before Georgia Might Jagger - and now, in a new interview (by fellow ’60s supermodel Anjelica Huston), the legendary star opens up about how the modeling world has changed.


Gracing the latest cover of The Violet Documents, Hutton, 70, pulls from her impressive vault of early modeling remembrances, like her first time meeting Vogue‘s Editor-in-Chief, Diana Vreeland: “It was such as being in this princess fairy tale. ” And then there was the time she danced in order to “Mustang Sally” while modeling for the late famed photographer Richard Avedon, “He played [the song] about 20 times in a row. ”

She also reflects on how the industry has changed, saying, she “doesn’t see how children do it. ”

“There are all these people on the set, and you’ve got to truly unzip your mental fly and expose yourself in front of a bunch of strangers, ” she adds. “It’s very anti-intimacy, which is what a great picture should be regarding - a very intimate look into someone’s soul. ”

For her, capturing intimate pictures is all about reflecting on “rich, emotional adventures. ”

“I would look in the actual camera and think about them and relive them, ” she says. “And you would see that all across my face. ”

And judging by her Violet Files photo spread, we’d say the veteran continues to be one deep thinker. Posing in a oversize shades and stunning clothes through Tom Ford, Marc Jacobs and Lanvin, she channels one impeccably advanced, Upper East Side New Yorker.

As for her favorite thing about modern day modeling world? Hutton only has three words: “Well, Daria Werbowy. ”

Hutton also shared some understanding on aging, admitting that she never used sunscreen, which she “sort of” regrets depending on “what kind of light I’m looking at myself in. ”

“I think it was because I was always coming from three months of modeling, so when I’d get free, I’d be on a plane the next day and didn’t wish to touch anything, ” she explained. “I didn’t take makeup, I did not take a mirror and I certainly didn’t take sunscreen. ”

But she has a skin secret weapon. “I’ve been slathering myself in coconut essential oil since I was about 22, ” she shares.


What do you think of Hutton’s outlook on the modeling industry? Share your thoughts below.

-Colleen Kratofil

View the original article here

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BACK TO TOP