Sunday, September 28, 2014

We Tried a Gemstone-Infused Gel Manicure

Shine Bright Like a Diamond: We Tried a Gemstone-Infused Gel Manicure

Red Carpet Manicure


There’s a new way to wear your gems on your fingers: DIY gel nail brand Red Carpet Manicure just launched a line of nail polishes that are infused with real crushed gemstones. We asked InStyle.com assistant editor Marianne Mychaskiw to choose a color, try it out and report back on the results. Keep reading to see what she thought!
I tend to follow the “What Would Rihanna Do” mantra when it comes to my hair and nail choices. So when I heard that Red Carpet Manicure was releasing a line of gemstone-infused nail colors ($12 each; redcarpemanicure.com), which contain ruby, sapphire and emerald among many other elements, I naturally went straight for the diamond option. I’m still pretty new to the DIY gel mani game–I previously tried out Ciate’s 60-second kit. But though Red Carpet Manicure’s set required a few more steps to achieve the effect, the instructions were spelled out clearly enough for a beginner to master. After prepping my nails with the required products, I applied a layer of the diamond polish to each of my digits. It certainly didn’t lack for sparkle, but the formula was very sheer, so it took numerous coats and a few passes under the LED light for a more opaque payoff.
In hindsight, I probably should have used a silver base color before using the gem-infused lacquer, but I was being stubborn and wanted a pure diamond manicure. I kept applying layer after layer, not realizing the color would be more saturated once I completely cured the gel polish, so thanks to my own error, I ended up with a pretty thick finish. Manageable for sure, but a bit thicker than I would have preferred. Still, I was pleased with the overall result. I’m not sure how different the finished effect is from a traditional silver glitter gel polish, but the addition of the diamond element makes me feel pretty fancy. And the final result is slightly sheer, but completely luxurious–not unlike RiRi’s risqué Swarovski gown from the CFDA awards. Win!


View the original article here

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BACK TO TOP